Winter is just as inhospitable for classic and antique cars as it is for people. Cold temperatures, ice, and salt can cause costly damage to irreplaceable or rare parts. In order to effectively preserve and protect the value of your vehicle, you need to take the proper precautions. This includes thorough maintenance and ensuring you have a comprehensive classic car insurance policy if the worst was to happen.
Winter Maintenance Steps
Securely storing your car during the winter is vital to preserving it. Follow these five helpful tips to ensure that your classic or antique car maintains its value throughout the cold winter months.
- Have the car fully serviced, which should include the following:
- Oil and filter changed
- Cooling system drained, cleaned, and refilled
- Air added to the tyres
- A coat of underseal applied
- Have your car thoroughly washed and waxed—this should include applying grease to any chrome—before storing it in a well-ventilated garage with a dehumidifier. This will prevent the body from developing rust, and the wiring, seals, and other rubber parts from deteriorating.
- Have the car’s battery removed and stored off the floor. You may want to consider using a trickle charger to keep the battery charged.
- Have all the air cleaner, air inlet, and exhaust pipe(s) covered to prevent insects and rodents from getting into the car.
- Have the vehicle placed on jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tyres and preserve the car’s suspension.
While you may be tempted to drive your car on those rare warm and dry winter days, doing so can potentially introduce damaging moisture, salt, and dirt to your car’s every nook and cranny. Still, some experts recommend using your car once per month on a dry, salt-free road for 15-20 minutes to prevent mechanical deterioration.
Antique or Classic Car Insurance
The most effective method to preserve the value of your classic car is with a robust insurance policy. Our policies will pay for the car’s agreed value with no depreciation in the event of a total loss. Classic and antique vehicles are all so different and your insurance coverage needs to be tailored to your unique needs too. We will discuss your exact requirements and recommend a bespoke car policy for you.
To learn more about protecting your classic or antique car, contact our specialist private client team today.
© 2015 Zywave, Inc.