Engineering Insurance

For over 13 years, John Morgan Partnership has been providing comprehensive engineering insurance for clients who require expert, trustworthy advice and reliable policies that cover them for potential risks.

It is important for all businesses to be protected by insurance policies in the event of equipment breakdowns, business disruption, damage to machinery and stock deterioration; and our friendly team of experienced professionals can advise and recommend the insurance that your business needs.

What is engineering insurance?

Engineering insurance is protection cover that will insure all the electrical equipment and machinery you use in your business.

John Morgan Partnership offers a variety of engineering insurance policies that fall broadly into four main categories: Inspection, Breakdown, Movement and Erection All risks. Find out more below.

If you want to know more about these policies, please contact our expert team on 01242 898387.


Businesses have a requirement to protect all employees, customers and members of the public. Maintaining a high level of health and safety protocols, including engineering inspections, can help to reduce the risk of death and injuries.

Whether your business is in the commercial, agricultural, construction, retail or industrial sectors, ensuring that your equipment is in safe working order is not only important but is also a mandatory requirement in order to comply with health and safety legislation.

JMP’s independent Engineering Inspection cover helps to identify problems early on, enabling you to plan remedial work and reduce the chance of unplanned machinery downtime. It also covers you for equipment replacement and a range of consequential losses such as temporary machine hire and professional fees incurred.


Protecting your business against unforeseen machinery breakdown and unexpected costs can give you peace of mind that company downtime can be mitigated or reduced, and deadlines can still be met.

If your business relies on the use of specialist equipment or machinery, breakdown coverage can enable you to resume operations quickly and allow you to continue to serve your customers.

JMP’s policies can also be extended to cover any damage caused to surrounding items, the business interruption you may have as a result of waiting for replacement parts and/or machinery, as well as the financial impact of not being able to trade as a direct result of the incident.

Machinery Movement

Whether you are moving machinery during a construction project or if you need to move machinery to multiple locations, a robust insurance policy is essential. In transit, machinery can be vulnerable to theft, fire and damage during loading and unloading that can cause significant disruption to a project if they occur.

Haulage contractors and manufacturers that move and re-site machinery regularly are at particular risk and should get cover either for one-off moves or on an annual basis.

Machinery movement cover from JMP covers you for dismantling, loading, unloading, transit and erection.

To discuss your requirements further, contact our team who will be able to advise you accordingly.

Erection All Risks (EAR)

EAR insurance protection covers loss or damage that occurs during the installation of machinery onsite, in a factory or in an office. These policies are designed to provide protection against any loss arising out of the erection and installation of machinery and are often required for one off projects with annual cover also available for contractors.

JMP’s EAR policy also covers liability to third parties and health damage incurred by third parties in connection with construction or erection. Policies can be extended to include protection for any start-up delay costs.

For any advice on protecting your machinery contact our expert team on 01242 898387.

What does an Engineering Insurance policy cover?

Depending on how you run your business will determine what covers you require. Here at JMP we will work with you to understand your needs and build a bespoke policy for your business.

Some of the covers you need to consider for your engineering company are:

If you employ people in the UK, you have a legal responsibility to hold a minimum of £5,000,000 employs liability cover. EL provides legal defence and awards if legal action is taken against you by an employee or their family for death or injury. If you employ people outside of the UK you must check the legal requirements in each Country. All our policies provide a minimum of £10,000,000 with the option to purchase higher levels of cover if required.

Unlike Employers liability there is no legal requirement for Public Liability insurance. Cover starts at £2,000,000 but we can increase this to £10,000,000 or give you the option to purchase higher levels if required. Public Liability is an essential cover for your business if you have anyone visiting your premises or you work away. If someone hurts themselves slipping on a wet floor or tripping over a tool left at a site, they can take legal action for the physical injury and financial loss as a result.

As an engineer there is probably an end product you are producing or working upon. If this product turns out faulty, injures anyone or is not fit for the original purposes, your client may take action against you. Products liability is there to cover the costs of this. This can be extended to include the costs associated with recalling a faulty product.

If you are providing advice or producing a product for a client, they can be unhappy with the end result. If a client decides to sue you or your company; whether you were wrong or not, professional indemnity insurance is there to cover your legal defence costs and settle any disputes. 

This covers the physical buildings against a number of perils from fire to flood. Buildings insurance would not only cover the costs of rebuilding your property but can be extended to include alternative accommodation so you can continue to run your business or loss of earnings cover so you can still pay for your employees and other overheads whilst repairs take place.

Whether you own your buildings or rent you will still have fixtures and fittings which can also be damaged, contents insurance covers for the cost of replacing these items in the event of damage or theft.

As an engineering company you may fulfil contracts and store these items on sight before transportation or have raw materials awaiting processing. Business stock cover is there to reimburse you in the event of damage or theft to your commercial stock.

It’s not just your contents and stock you need to think about covering, you may also use specialist machinery or tools. In the event of damage or theft can you easily replace them and continue trading? We can provide cover for these items ensuring you are not financially impacted when your machines or tools need to be replaced and your business can continue running.

Commercial vehicle insurance is a commercial motor policy to cover your business cars, vans and trucks. We can cover one vehicle to large fleets including company executive cars.

It is a statutory requirement that certain pieces of equipment be inspected regularly by an independent engineer to make sure it complies to the latest H&S legislation. These annual policies can be purchased to fulfil this requirement.

A typical engineering policy will cover:

  • Inspection – the inspection requirement for various items of plant, lifting equipment, pressure systems and electrical installations.
  • Breakdown cover and sudden unforeseen damage
  • Computers
  • Contractors plant and continuing hire charges
  • Deterioration of stock

Get in touch

If you would rather talk to us directly, our details are as follows

    Related services

    Commercial Insurance Articles & Guides

    We have selected our commercial insurance advice and guidance articles for you: